This soup was absolutely delicious and extremely easy to make. I was able to use many ingredients that I usually have in the fridge, plus just a few extras (kale and mushrooms) that I picked up at the store. Inexpensive and quick -- it's an easy weeknight meal any time of year.
- 2 Tbl extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 C baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 can of whole tomatoes, drained and diced
- 1 Tbl minced or crushed garlic
- 1 t dried basil
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 t red pepper flakes
- 1 32oz box of organic chicken broth
- 1/2 can white kidney (or cannelloni) beans
- 2-3 C kale torn up
- 3 Tbl fresh parsley, chopped
- In a dutch oven, saute onions, carrots, and celery in olive oil over medium-high heat. Add S&P to taste.
- When tender (~3 min) add mushrooms and saute (~2 min)
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the kale and parsley.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes, tasting to see whether you need to add any spices, S&P.
- Add kale and parsley, stir. Simmer for 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- Let cool a bit (no need for a burnt tongue) and serve.