Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Easy Dill Salmon

I "stole" some salmon from my mom's freezer on the way back to Boston from Pennsylvania. I knew it would help keep the rest of my perishables cool, and that by the time I finished my 6 hour trek it would be defrosted and ready for the oven! This can be an easy weekday meal or it can be spruced up with sides like risotto or roasted potatoes for a fabulous and party-friendly weekend dinner. (P.S. I wouldn't recommend this particular defrosting technique...normally you want to remove it from the plastic wrap -- BPA people!! -- and defrost in the refrigerator overnight).

The zucchini (plentiful this time of year) was bought fresh from Allandale Farm! I can't believe I just found out that there is a local farm in Jamaica Plain! They even sell milk in glass bottles. I can't wait to make them my primary produce stop.

Ingredients
1 6 oz. salmon fillet (de-skinned, de-boned)
1 Tbl olive oil
pinch of dill
salt and pepper to taste

Method
  1. Turn on the oven broiler.
  2. Lay the salmon on an oven sheet (I used aluminum foil under the fish to ease clean up) and rub with olive oil on either side. Sprinkle generously with dill, salt and pepper.
  3. Put salmon in oven for about 7 minutes about 2-3 inches from broiler coil.
  4. Remove when salmon looks opaque. Let rest for a minute or two. Do not overcook!!
Zucchini was boiled (to soften) in a skillet with a little layer of water, salt, and pepper for about 4 minutes. Then drained them and I added just a splash of olive oil and crushed garlic until heated through.

Buen provecho!

No comments: